Nintendo Direct September 2023

I can't believe people managed to hold off on posting spoilers! Just kidding, I just didn't use Tumblr until I could sit down to watch it.

Here's some of the highlights:

• F-Zero 99

• Mario and Donkey Kong for Switch
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Splatoon 3: Side Order
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for Switch

Side Order looks very interesting. Makes me want to replay Beyond Good & Evil.

I appreciate the Paper Mario port. It looks fine. I still just want to replay it on Gamecube. I don't "get" all the ports, when Nintendo used to be amazing about backwards compatibility... oh well.

I am so excited about Side Order. The fish enemies are new autism creatures for me, I think. I loved Octo Expansion and I hope the story is as good as or better than that was.

The Peach game looks cute. My sibling would have absolutely loved it as a kid, so it makes me happy to see. It was hard to tell what any of the actual gameplay or story would be like from the trailer, so it might have more depth than it appears, but it seems pretty shallow and simple, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I played some of F-Zero 99, and it was really fun. I had the original F-Zero on Virtual Console on my Wii U, but I never quite managed to figure it out, and it ended up being more of a little amusement I would pick up for a few seconds and then go back to playing Mario Kart. 99 is still a little amusement, in that phrasing, but it's way more friendly to play and I like the competition even though I'm not a very competitive person.

Speaking of Virtual Console, all the ports are weird. Nintendo knows its fans want to play old games, that's why they do all the ports, and why they make you pay extra for the Switch's VC equivalent, but there's still so much missing and the ports inevitably change things people might not want or need changed, and put the game at a way higher price point. It's weird. Backwards compatibility and Virtual Console seemed like the perfect way to keep old games alive, while all the resurrecting feels forced, IMO.