The Mouth Project
Weezer 

So, I've always liked mashups. One of my favorite examples in this "genre" is the Mouth series of albums by Neil Cicierega. For a long time I've wanted to make my own music mashups, but music creating/editing programs stress me out and I have historically burned out and gotten frustrated with them very quickly.

Not so for videos, however. Recently I saw this video on YouTube that really touched and inspired me, posted by an animator I enjoy the work of, and it got me thinking...hey, this is like a collage. A video collage. And I can make collages, and videos!

ADHD being what it is, though, I didn't really pursue this train of thought as something that I was going to do...until my girlfriend posted his video. I finally processed that I could make this kind of thing too, and make it my own, stupid way.

All that is to explain the backstory of that I've somehow gotten myself into the project of making a video collage for (hopefully) every song in the Mouth albums.

I plan on using this thread to post the videos that I make, with their "artist statements" attached, since YouTube descriptions don't feel like quite the right place to put those. I've made a few already, so I'll write about those first, then any more that I make after, hopefully until I finish the project, but who knows how long (and how many focus shifts) that will take.

Explosion 

The order I make these is not the order they are in the albums, for the most part, because trying to do that would probably burn me out instantly. I just make whatever I find the most inspiration or motivation for in the moment. That said, my first video is track 14 of the first album, Melt Everyone.

I would recommend watching the videos before reading their artist statements, so I'll put the statement below in spoiler tags. I also try to keep these videos fairly tame, enough that I can post them comfortably without in-video trigger warnings, but I'll give any major possible warnings in advance in this thread.

For example, this video is centered around melting objects: primarily toys, but some chocolate bunnies too. Some of the toys catch on fire at points. The scene transitions do not flash very rapidly, but they are a quick flash to black and then the next clip.

Artist Statement:

Pikmin - Oatchi 

The next one is significantly longer, enough that I wanted to explore two separate-but-related ideas in a single video. My first videos are actually all clustered around the same area, near the end of Mouth Sounds and the beginning of Mouth Silence. Not sure why, but it's interesting. This one is for track 16 of Mouth Sounds, Mullet With Butterfly Wings.

This video involves animals handled humanely but sometimes roughly in uncomfortable situations, in small cages, and in settings that are intended for testing on animals. Nothing graphic is shown, but there is a minor amount of blood at the beginning (a vampire bat is drinking it out of a dish) and there is a rabbit shown that is acting strangely as a result of a test (the test is not shown).

Artist Statement:

Gun 

Okay, well, I accidentally lied about my videos all being clustered in one area. This one is the only one so far I've made based off a song from Mouth Moods, which is probably my favorite of the series, but I struggle to come up with video ideas for, for a variety of reasons. This is track 2 of Mouth Moods, titled Floor Corn.

This video has a lot of blood and (animal) violence in it. As described by my friend Andy, "exploding ketchup packets" would be the most fitting term for the characters shown in the video. The blood is only animated, and not detailed at all. The real-life portions of the footage have no blood.

Artist Statement:

Scrooge 

Now it's back to Mouth Sounds, with track 12, No Credit Card. I immediately knew what I wanted to do with this one.

This video has some bright flashing lights throughout, mainly in the very beginning (as soon as you press play). Sorry, it was the 80s.

Artist Statement:

Sex Mission 

Here's the 17th and final track from Mouth Sounds, titled Smooth Flow. Mouth Sounds has always been one of the harder ones for me to listen to on its own, but it lends itself to videos very well.

This video has some blood, but only in the context of chum in the water in a single non-graphic clip.

Artist Statement:

(09-20-2024, 02:31 AM)starsystemerror Wrote: Artist Statement:

As one of the only people in the world who enjoyed Shark Tale, thank you.

babu baba baby

You are so welcome. I was incredibly neutral on it as a kid, but it was one of my baby cousin's favorite movies, which he would ask to watch before he could even speak simply by saying "RAAAR" (which was different than his request for Monsters Inc., which was "RAAWWRRRRR"). I watched it pretty often, but I probably have more affection for it than your average person who watched Shark Tale repeatedly at the request of a relative, so that's something, for sure.

Sonic - Scary 

This one is a bit shorter and simpler than some of my other videos, but I had a very specific vision for it. It's for the first song on Mouth Silence, a truly legendary album that while making these videos, I think is my new favorite of the series. Sorry Moods, I think I just listened to it too many times as a teenager.

Anyway. There is some blood in this one, and some character's heads disappearing with skulls behind them, but it's not violent, and also it's some really ridiculous creepypasta bullshit, so it's not as scary as it sounds.

Artist Statement:

Burger Jones 

Enough being sad. Let's be horny. The song for this one is actually the second track on Mouth Silence, titled Rollercloser.

The only thing I could really think to warn for in this one is some mild cartoon "body horror."

Artist Statement: